Young People’s Academy and The Skills Hub have a joint Local Governing Body (LGB) which has been given certain delegated responsibilities by the Orchard Hill College Academy Trust (OHCAT) Board of Directors through a Scheme of Delegation.
Some of the LGB’s key responsibilities are:
Setting the strategic direction of the Academy by:
- Ensuring the values, aims and objectives for the Academy are aligned to those of OHCAT
- Implementing the policy framework for achieving the agreed aims and objectives
- Setting statutory targets
- Agreeing the Academy improvement strategy
Challenging and supporting the Academy by monitoring, reviewing and evaluating:
- The implementation and effectiveness of the policy framework
- Progress towards targets
- The implementation and effectiveness of the Academy improvement strategy
- The budget and the staffing structure
Ensuring accountability by:
- Monitoring the Academy’s self-evaluation documentation
- Responding to Ofsted reports when necessary
- Holding the Headteacher to account for the performance of the Academy
- Ensuring parents and pupils are involved, consulted and informed as appropriate
- Making information available to the community
The LGB generally meets once a term and comprises of people from the community with relevant skills and experience, parent and staff governors.
Additionally, the LGB has established a Pay Committee comprised of the Chair of the LGB and two further governors – these will be the HR portfolio holder and the Finance portfolio holder unless circumstances do not permit. The Pay Committee meets once a year to consider the Headteacher’s salary recommendations for all teaching staff, and to ensure that all pay decisions have been made in line with OHC&AT’s Pay Policy and OHC&AT’s Appraisal Policy.